MakuluLinux

Now Offering XFCE, KDE, E17 & MATE

Forums

Forum Home > FeedBack > Site related: friendlier forum features?

schwim

Hi there,

I was wondering if any features are planned for the forums.  I find it very hard to follow conversations not having any ability to get to the first unread post in the topics, new topic notifications or even end of thread. Maybe I'm simply missing some of these?

Thanks a bunch!

May 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

c00ter
Administrator

This is a packaged forum. Jacque is working with the developers to increase the usability, but it is an expensive proposition. :(

--

"I've given up eating healthy food.  At my age, I need all the preservatives I can get." ;)

----------------------------------
MakuluLinux FAQ: http://www.makululinux.com/apps/faq/
Debian Help: http://www.debianhelp.org/

May 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

raymerjacque
Site Owner

4eyes is actually busy working on a whole new website and phpbb forums, altho he is doing it for free and in his spare time, so nothing to do but be patient, he is very skilled and i dont doubt the new site will be awesome...

The current website is a packaged deal via webs.com, so features are lacking, Please just bare with us for a little while longer, soon we will move to better website :)

--

The new Makululinux Xfce has its moods, but once you tame her she will treat you nice...

Please Take a minute and take part in the MakuluLinux Survey by clicking here.

May 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

schwim

raymerjacque at May 7, 2014 at 8:56 AM

4eyes is actually busy working on a whole new website and phpbb forums, altho he is doing it for free and in his spare time, so nothing to do but be patient, he is very skilled and i dont doubt the new site will be awesome...

The current website is a packaged deal via webs.com, so features are lacking, Please just bare with us for a little while longer, soon we will move to better website :)

Thanks very much for the heads up!  If 4eyes is in need of additional fingers, I would be glad to help, as I've got quite a few phpBB custimizations under my belt and have written many site features that integrate into phpBB's session system.

May 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

willem2

@ schwim.

i was a administaror on the dreambox linux forum and the papagen samsung forum.

working on the phpbb and simple machine forums.

and i can tell you at the end i was 24/7 bizzy to maintain the forums.

it is a big commitment and this all ar done in free time.

i know what 4eyes ar going true to make it all work.

let give him som time to make it work.

my live was easyer from switching from phpbb to simple machine forum and database it is mutch easyer to maintain and to configurate and faster streaming.

--

May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

schwim

Thanks very much for the tip, Willem, however it's unnecessary.  I own and run 4 separate phpBB forums and am administrator for another IB forum.  This is on top of my day job of php development, so I've got a fairly decent idea of the work involved.

Also of note is the fact that my post was offering assistance, and nothing else.

May 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

willem2

I dit not know you ar also so dedicated Schim respect for that and mabe The makulu board can benifit from you knowledge.

--

May 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

raymerjacque
Site Owner

well, i think the hard part is cloning the Makulu website, Webs.com has no feature at all that lets you make a backup or a dump of the website, so 4eyes is litterally designing a theme to match the current look of the website as close as possible, no easy task i assure you. And doing it in his free time, so patience is key...

Ofcourse the downside of moving is that users would have to re-register, the upside is the new website and forums would be 1000 times better, But like everything else in life, nothing is simple black and white, you have to sometimes make sacrifice's for the greater good of the project.

We cannot continue to use this pathetic host with its limitations and lack of features, better to move now while community is still growing than do it later when there is hundreds of thousands or millions, re registering is a small price to pay.

--

The new Makululinux Xfce has its moods, but once you tame her she will treat you nice...

May 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

schwim

The best way to handle the theming is to simply take a theme already created, for instance, this one:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/acidtech_%28blue%29/

and adjust to match your current site. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to :D

Patiently looking forward to the new site!

May 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Coastie

I am having forum problems and a couple of questions.

I am not receiving e-mail notifications to my posts although I set in my  profile to do that. Also received this message trying to post this as a new topic in feedback:

"Please correct the following problems:

• The two words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again."

Also is there a way to subscribe to things in this forum or receive a RSS feed?

--

Linux user since January 2014

May 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

c00ter
Administrator

Sorry, Coastie, those features don't work. That's why we're in the process of rebuilding the website & forums. Please re-read all the posts above yours. :)

--

"I've given up eating healthy food.  At my age, I need all the preservatives I can get." ;)

----------------------------------
MakuluLinux FAQ: http://www.makululinux.com/apps/faq/
Debian Help: http://www.debianhelp.org/

May 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Coastie

Thanks. I searched and read all I could find to see if those problems had been already discussed. As raymerjacque   said, " re registering is a small price to pay."

--

Linux user since January 2014

May 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

raymerjacque
Site Owner

i will email the host again and see if anyone is working on the notification problem.

--

May 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

raymerjacque
Site Owner

here is the conversation with host :

• Hello! Welcome to WEBS. How are you doing today?
  • JacqueRaymer: hi there.
  • Erin: Hello! How can I help you?
  • JacqueRaymer: I would like to log a problem with my Website.
  • JacqueRaymer: www.makululinux.com
  • Erin: What seems to be the issue?
  • JacqueRaymer: users that are registered on the website are complaining that the "subscribe to forums topics and posts" feature does not work.
  • JacqueRaymer: meaning, if you subscribe to a topic, it is meant to email you when a reply is posted. however the feature does not seem to work.
  • JacqueRaymer: this is on the Forums module of the website, i have asked about this before.
  • Erin: Thank you, please give me a moment to look into this for you.
  • Erin: Okay. It appears that functionality was removed. Members are no longer going to receive notifications through the Forums app.

Well, it seems the feature is no longer available :(

--

May 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

killbubble

Well...let's be happy Erin actually replied at least XD

Also in case the dev of the new forum was interested in some looks for the forum i believe the best forum in black i've ever seen is that of starbound http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php#starbound.1 but i'm sure a LOT of hard work was put into its development. Still it makes a great model for a black forum look...

--

---------------

Be free, be GNU!

May 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Donate To Makulu

• Donations 25 donations

Google Translator

Facebook

Twitter Follow Button