Home forums Makulu LinDoz Chat OS Freezing

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rindi 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

I’ve been noticing that there are some problems with the system freezing up especially on web pages where it may become unresponsive and eventually slowly catch up.  Now I’m doing this from a Dell E5570 and I’m on a 1Gbps fiber, so I don’t think it is a lack of system specs or just internet latency.  Even as I type this, I’m typing and then the text appears as much as 5-10 seconds after I type it.  Sometimes the text appears immediately and everything seems fine and then other times there is a huge amount of latency or the system completely freezes up and nothing responds for as much as 20-30 seconds and on rarer occasions even longer.  Has anyone else experienced this or got any ideas what could be causing it?

James McCaughey
    Kirbyville CISD Network Technician

rindi

No, I haven’t noticed anything like that happening. Actually performance has always been very good, and that on older hardware.

At first the only time I noticed it was when I tried to use the chat and everything got bogged down. Now it is becoming more and more often and this is over the course of like a week I’ve been using the OS.  This laptop is from our 2016 lease from Dell and it has 4GB of RAM and plenty of free HDD space, so not terrible hardware and my internet connection is ~600 Mbps down / ~900 Mbps up with 5 – 15 ms latency.  I might try running it in a VM or loading it on my other laptop.  This is my work Dell and my personal Dell is a bit higher-end on specs (16GB RAM quad-core i7).

James McCaughey
    Kirbyville CISD Network Technician

rindi

Did you setup any swap space? Check if that makes any difference. Have you done the updates? You could also check whether upgrading the Kernel (UKUU makes this very easy to do) helps. Besides, the newest kernel would also patch the system for spectre and meltdown.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.