Home forums LinDoz Bug Reports WPA2 Enterprise

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  James McCaughey 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

I have setup Makulu Lindoz on my Dell 5570 and we use WPA2 Enterprise on a WiFi at the school.  When I try to connect to the network by clicking the connect button nothing seems to happen and when I add the network as a “Hidden Network” it never authenticates.  I have authenticated with Xubuntu 17.10 on my Dell Inspiron 7548.  Any ideas?

James McCaughey
    Kirbyville CISD Network Technician

rindi

Is your Network actually “hidden”? Have you tried connecting to another network that doesn’t use WPA2 Enterprise, and do you see other wireless Lans listed?

It is not hidden and I can see other networks and connect to a WPA2 Personal.

James McCaughey

rindi

When you create the new connection using the “hidden” option, and select WPA2 Enterprise, there are a lot of fields that probably need to be set correctly for your LAN, like Authentication, Identity, User Certificate, CA Certificate, Private key, Password etc. Have you used the correct settings there that apply to your school?

Yes, I have the correct settings.  Weird thing is it just connected.  I left for lunch and came back and reviewed the settings and clicked connect again and it worked.

It is working now, but it still would not recognize the WPA2 Enterprise and ask me for settings when I press connect and had never connected to the network before.  It just sat there doing nothing apparent.  WPA2 Personal networks ask me for the password.

James McCaughey

rindi

I don’t have any experience with WPA2 Enterprise, but could it be that as you were using another OS on a laptop you had already connected  with earlier, it just took some time for your server to recognize and accept it? Also in Schools you usually have a large number of people connecting to the LAN, and sometimes the DHCP servers can get to the limits of their leases, and if a lease hasn’t yet been released you may not be able to connect for some time.

The WPA2 Enterprise authenticates through NPS (RADIUS) and uses user accounts on the AD domain to grant users access to the network, so I connect multiple devices at the same time and that hasn’t been an issue in the past.  In planning for a large number of systems being added to our network (since users can add their personal devices with the same credentials) I setup /21 VLANs for each campus.  That’s just to cover the faculty and the DHCP server is setup for 8 hour leases.  We shouldn’t have an issue with the number of leases.  We have 10 Gbps fiber between the campuses and 1 Gbps between the IDFs and MDFs.  Some of our APs are on older switches that only have 100 Mbps on the PoE ports and 1 Gbps on the uplinks, so bandwidth shouldn’t be an issue either.  I don’t know about the load on the DHCP at the time I was having issue, so maybe that was it.

James McCaughey

rindi

Yes, for several devices that might be good. but if you use the same device (same MAC address), and a new OS, the MAC address already has a reserved IP lease for those 8 hours you mentioned. Now you use that same MAC address with a new OS, and the reserved IP hasn’t been released yet, you probably won’t be able to get a connection as the old IP is still registered. Personally, particularly in large networks I have observed that a shorter lease time is better and reduces issues. Along lease time blocks the IP’s from being used again for too long.

I’m going to have to remember that, but the laptop I’m using hasn’t been used in months (way past the 8 hour lease). I’ve mostly been using my Surface Pro 3 and I only pulled out the dell laptops so I could install Linux. I had this particular Dell on a dock and booted it for the first time in months with the thumb drive and installed Makulu. Now that I think about it when I had issues I was able to connect to a WPA2 Personal network that uses the same DHCP server. It’s working now though and I’m enjoying Makulu so far. Just some minor occasional freezing and some pretty bad issues when using Google sheets, wps spreadsheets and the Makulu chat.

James McCaughey

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.